Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Kelsey Raynal: Children in Competition



Kelsey Raynal
LLC
Children in Competition



First let me start by saying I am not a parent so my opinion on this subject might change over time, yet my opinion today on this subject is yes, children should be able to play competitive sports. With everything my Father always told me, “Everything in moderation Kelsey.” This means sure, maybe healthy-competition is a contradiction however I believe that it’s impossible to go through life without some sort of competitive edge.
            When the day comes I become lucky enough to start my own family I will be open-minded to any activities my child might be interest in. Whether this be basketball or playing on the Chess Club, I will support their decisions respectively. At any age a child will come across a competitive environment where they will have to build the bravery and choose to join or walk away, either decision is based on the child and as parents we should be neutral on this subject. If my child were to join the volleyball team he or she would most likely create a competitive spirit. My point it, as parent we should support being competitive yet not overindulge the child of being perfect. As the article stated, if a child wins his or her values begin to revolve around what they have done or how many people they’ve beaten. In this respect I disagree with the article. Competiveness in inevitable within life, to be in a competitive situation is how we are shaped for good or bad, yet it is our jobs as parents to be the arms of safety to resort back to when finishing a game.
            It’s the child’s decision to participate in a competitive environment, however it’s our job to support and nurture the child in whatever they decided to do. To teach humility as well as to show humble sportsmanship, “Everything in moderation.” We cannot let competitiveness shape our entire being yet we should be able to rejoice when we’ve succeeded. 

No comments:

Post a Comment